Google+  with milk and sugar blog: Try Something New - Chicken Piccata recipe

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Try Something New - Chicken Piccata recipe

hello world!


Today is Leap Day 2012. An extra day we get every four years to make up lost time. This year I'm looking at it as a day to do something I couldn't, or wouldn't, normally. Something out of the ordinary. Like start a blog. 


Let me introduce myself. I'm Kristin, a twenty-something Southern Californian making her way through life with family, friends, recipes, crafts, design, and a passion to seize the day. I'm married to a wonderful, hardworking husband and together we have our little one, Chandler, a four year old terrier mutt. 

I love to try new things, especially in the kitchen. So considering today is Leap Day, and my first post, I thought I'd share something relatively new to my recipe repertoire that has become a weekly staple: Chicken Piccata. A co-worker and I started swapping recipes and dinner ideas a few months ago and she mentioned this delightful dish. I'd never heard of it. But lemons, parsley, capers, and chicken. Let's just say "you had me at" lemons. 


The best thing about Chicken Piccata is that there are so many right ways to make it.  I looked through dozens of online recipes, all with the same type of ingredients, but each a little different. Like most of my cooking adventures, I tweaked recipes I found online to meet my tastes and have arrived at something my husband requests on a regular basis.  


Start with fresh ingredients: parsley from the garden, lemons from a friend's grove, and capers from a jar {not so fresh, but they add the perfect zing}.




Saute in a pan with lemon juice and thin slices...


And voila! You have a perfect week night meal.



Chicken Piccata {for two}
2 chicken breasts
1 1/2 c chicken stock
1/2 c lemon juice (1-2 lemons)
2 T olive oil
2 T butter
1 egg (optional)
3/4 c flour
salt and pepper (to taste)


1. Heat 1 T butter and 2 T olive oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat. 
2. Butterfly chicken breasts and pound flat between pieces of wax paper. Dip chicken pieces in a scrambled egg (alternative: olive oil) and then dip in flour that has been seasoned with salt and pepper. 
3. Brown floured chicken in olive oil and butter mixture, about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan and reduce heat. Deglaze pan with about a cup of chicken stock {a lot of recipes call for white wine. I prefer stock as wine gives it too much tartness. Just my opinion.}. Return heat to medium and add remaining tablespoon of butter.  
4. Return chicken to pan and let cook for a few minutes.Cut a few thin lemon slices and juice rest so you have about a half cup of lemon juice. Add about 1/3 cup of lemon juice to pan, along with lemon slices. Taste sauce and add stock or lemon juice as desired. 
5. Lastly, add fresh flat leaf parsley and capers to pan, cooking over low heat for only a few minutes.  


The result is citrus bliss. The perfect combination of tender chicken, tart lemon zesty-ness, earthy parsley freshness and the zing of capers.


Buon Appetito!





7 comments:

  1. omg this recipe seems amazing :)
    I'm gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's it?! It looks so fancy but is so easy! I have our menu planned for this week but I am putting it on next week's menu for sure. It looks like the kids will devour that. I am so glad you started a blog, you are such a gifted homemaker and hostess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks SO DELICIOUS! Do you think my college cafeteria would give it a try?

    tallkendall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know... maybe add it to the suggestion box :)

      Delete
  4. Love it! So glad we are doing this together! Can't wait for this adventure and all things to come!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...